We are seeking an efficient, detail-oriented research analyst to join the Carnegie Foundation’s Evidence and Analytics Group. We seek someone with broad technical and methodological prowess, an orientation toward asking and answering tough questions, and a desire to improve education outcomes, and a strong desire to achieve equity in educational outcomes.
This role will require you to be flexible in applying your analytic skills and knowledge. You will collect, manage, analyze, interpret, and report data with appropriate visualizations in order to inform actionable insights for decision-making and continuous improvement in education as well as measure the effectiveness of networked improvement work. You will also work with colleagues and partners to help educational organizations solve problems related to data, measurement, and analytics through the design, development, and execution of effective social processes for analyzing and using evidence in a variety of forms. You will likely work on projects that are varied in character: some projects will require you to automate analyses while others may require a research or evaluation approach to understand how (and how successfully) organizations are making use of data and analytics.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The Research Analyst will:
- Work within cross-functional teams to tackle complex analytic challenges related to helping education systems improve outcomes.
- Capture, analyze, organize and present for use a wide variety of data (i.e., online system, administrative/institutional, documents/text, assessment, survey, etc.).
- Automate analytic processes (i.e., data extraction, cleaning, coding, merging, reporting, etc.) with error-checking rules embedded in programming code.
- Clearly communicate and facilitate use of the results of analyses with varied audiences through presentations, written documents, and data visualizations.
- Coordinate and facilitate data collection, survey programming/administration, reporting, and instrument reviewing processes with external and internal partners
- Create and manage datasets; collaborate with others to document and operationalize analysis methodologies.
- Co-develop analytic plans and approaches to problems.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in a social science with a quantitative focus or other relevant quantitative research field, or equivalent experience
- Experience using R
- Knowledge of MySQL and relational database environments
- Experience with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- 2+ years of professional experience of quantitative analysis in an applied research environment beyond academic preparation
- Experience with descriptive and inferential statistical methods, including correlation and regression analyses
- Experience in applied research or evaluation, preferably related to education
- Experience or knowledge of data visualization methods and tools
- Knowledge of mixed methods or qualitative research approaches
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Comfort with ambiguity and able to juggle the demands of a busy, frequently changing plan of work in a professional manner, while exhibiting sound judgment
- Approachable, positive, and able to work with diverse constituencies, including all levels and areas of the organization as well as external partners and collaborators
- Ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative and team oriented environment
- Collaborative orientation and flexibility, and ability to carry out work independently
- Knowledge of measurement within education
- Knowledge of Python and machine learning
- Knowledge of basic and advanced inferential statistical techniques such as HLM
- Experience building data dashboards
- Experience with qualitative analysis
- Experience working in the field of education for continuous improvement
- Knowledge of or interest in networked improvement science
- Experience working with a wide range of audiences (including non-technical partners)
Please Note: Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
THE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The Foundation offers a collaborative, community-building atmosphere grounded in an environment of mutual respect.
- The facility is located in Stanford, California in a quiet pastoral setting near a hiking trail.
- Amenities include a communal kitchen (coffee, tea, and drinks provided), weekly catered lunches, and outdoor eating/gathering areas.
- We also offer on-site yoga classes, free parking, and electric car charging stations.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Full medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death, disability, and long term care insurance, as well as employer subsidized flexible spending plans
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions and the opportunity for your own tax-advantaged savings
- Generous time-off benefits including 15 paid holidays and up to 6 weeks paid parental leave
- Matching Gift program to benefit charitable organizations and Educational Assistance to further your professional development
Permanent link to page: https://www.carnegiefoundation.org/engage-with-us/jobs/listings/research-analyst-evidence-and-analytics/