APPLICATIONS ARE DUE AUGUST 5, 2019
Building on the successful Spotlight on Quality in Continuous Improvement Symposium convenings in Washington, DC, and sessions at the Summit on Improvement in Education conference, the Carnegie Foundation once again seeks applications from enterprises that have achieved measurable improvement in outcomes and can share a compelling narrative of how they used improvement principles to achieve those outcomes. Applicants should fall in one of the following categories:
- School Districts, State Education Agencies, and Charter Management Organizations that run or manage schools and use improvement methods and tools to make significant progress on a well-specified aim.
- Improvement Networks made up of individuals, teams, or organizations working together to make significant progress on a shared improvement aim.
- Professional/Technical Assistance Organizations that support educational enterprises and are applying improvement principles, methods, and tools to their own practices to improve the support they provide to schools and/or districts.
Of particular interest are applicants that have used quality improvement approaches to advance ambitious student learning goals or to attack longstanding disparities grounded in race/ethnicity or income in students’ progress through school and educational attainment.
Spotlighted enterprises chosen in each category will:
- Be publicized nationally as leaders in the field of education improvement
- Inspire others to take up these quality improvement approaches with similar rigor
- Learn from and develop colleagueship with other Spotlight honorees (see the 2018 and 2017 Spotlight Honorees)
- Receive special recognition at two Carnegie Foundation events
- The Spotlight on Quality in Continuous Improvement Symposium scheduled for November 21, 2019, at the National Press Club in Washington, DC
- The 7th annual Carnegie Foundation Summit on Improvement in Education, scheduled for April 1–3, 2020, in San Francisco, CA
- Be featured in educative videos and written cases
- Receive complimentary travel, lodging, and registration for two colleagues at both events
Expectations of Spotlighted Enterprises
Leadership from spotlighted enterprises will be expected to participate in the following activities:
- Presentations at the Spotlight on Quality in Continuous Improvement Symposium scheduled for November 21, 2019, in Washington, DC
- Presentations of Spotlight on Quality in Continuous Improvement sessions at the Summit on Improvement in Education, scheduled for April 1–3, 2020, in San Francisco, CA
- Interviews for educative videos and case studies
|August 5, 2019||All applications are due on or before this date.|
|October 1, 2019||All notifications will be sent by this date.|
To apply for the 2019 Spotlight program, follow these steps.
- Download your category-specific application:
- Complete your responses for each of the three sections of the application directly into the Word document. Be sure to include a separate response for each of the sub-questions within each section.
- Qualifying Consideration: Evidence of Improvement
- Work of Improvement
- Context for Improvement
- Submit your application by providing the following information via this online form.
- Enterprise applying for Spotlight
- Completed application
- Documents (data, graphs, or figures) that provide the best evidence of measurable improvement(s) at some significant scale
- Submitter contact information
Submit your application by August 5, 2019.
Questions about applying? Take a look at the Spotlight FAQs.