As a field, we undervalue learning to improve in ways that are systematic and organized. We have in the past lacked a methodology to structure and guide this approach to improvement. This strand introduces participants to groundbreaking organizations that are achieving better educational outcomes through the use of improvement science methodologies, effectively turning knowledge into practice and systematically spreading that knowledge so that practice improves reliably at scale.
For this strand we are specifically seeking proposals that:
- Tell a story about a significant improvement (such as increased graduation rates) that positively impacted the lives of students and/or teachers through the use of improvement science and include measureable results.
- Describe how one or more of the core improvement principles has been essential to the improvement.
- Make the work problem-specific and user-centered.
- Variation in performance is the core problem to address.
- See the system that produces the current outcomes.
- We cannot improve at scale what we cannot measure.
- Anchor practice improvement in disciplined inquiry.