Organizational FAQs

  • What is the difference between the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Carnegie Corporation of New York?

    The Carnegie Foundation and Carnegie Corporation are separate organizations. The Carnegie Foundation is an independent policy and research center. Its current mission is to support needed transformations in American education through tighter connections between teaching practice, evidence of student learning, the communication and use of this evidence, and structured opportunities to build knowledge. Carnegie Corporation is a source of financial support for innovations in the fields in which it concentrates. Its current program areas include education, international peace and security, international development, and strengthening U.S. democracy. Carnegie Corporation’s work in education presently focuses on advancing literacy, urban school reform and teacher education reform.

  • How is the Foundation governed?

    The Carnegie Foundation is governed by a self-perpetuating board of trustees composed of leaders in education, business and government. The Carnegie Foundation is a nonprofit corporation chartered by an act of Congress in 1906. Classified as a private operating foundation under sections 509(a) and 4942(j) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code, the Foundation uses income from an endowment to support its activities and does not award grants or scholarships.

Questions about Grants & Scholarships

Questions about Publications and Previous Work

  • What happened to the Carnegie Classifications?

    On October 8, 2014, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching transferred responsibility for the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education to Indiana University Bloomington’s Center for Postsecondary Research. The Classification will continue to retain the Carnegie name after the Center for Postsecondary Research takes over responsibility on Jan. 1. (Read the full announcement.)

    For more information about the new Classifications website, look for an announcement from Victor Borden, professor of higher education and student affairs at the IU School of Education, on January 1 on the IU Center for Postsecondary Research website.

    Community Engagement Classification: The application process for the Community Engagement Classification is administered by the New England Resource Center for Higher Education (NERCHE). All information about the Community Engagement Classification can be found on the NERCHE website.

    During this transition period, the Classifications website will not be available. However, for your reference, the Classifications data file is available for download. This spreadsheet, last updated on July 14, 2014, contains all institutions, classifications, and most underlying data elements, plus IPEDS UNITIDs.

    Download Classifications data file »

  • What is the Carnegie Unit?

    The unit was developed in 1906 as a measure of the amount of time a student has studied a subject. For example, a total of 120 hours in one subject—meeting 4 or 5 times a week for 40 to 60 minutes, for 36 to 40 weeks each year—earns the student one “unit” of high school credit. Fourteen units were deemed to constitute the minimum amount of preparation that could be interpreted as “four years of academic or high school preparation.”

  • Why can’t I find the Carnegie publication I am looking for?

    Because the Carnegie Corporation and the Carnegie Foundation both publish on education, confusion occasionally arises when people search the wrong website for a publication. Recent Carnegie Foundation publications are listed on this site here; the catalog of historical Carnegie Foundation publications list can be found on the Archive website. If you do not find the title you are looking for, please check the Carnegie Corporation site.

  • I recently read somewhere that a Carnegie Foundation report said that 85% of a person’s job success is a product of interpersonal skills and that only 15% of his success is the result of technical knowledge. Which report was that, and how can I get a copy?

    These statistics were extrapolated from A Study of Engineering Education, authored by Charles Riborg Mann and published in 1918 by the Carnegie Foundation. The cited figures come from the data on pages 106-107. The report is out of print, but can be located through a public library or a university library.

  • Where can I find out-of-print Carnegie publications?

    Check your local public or university library for out of print books. You might also try online booksellers to locate a copy for purchase. In addition, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching’s historical records, including Bulletins, publications of the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education, and Annual Reports, are archived at Columbia University.